By now you probably already know that we use WordPress for our CMS. It’s fairly simple to use, and really easy to manage all of your pages, posts, and users. One of the benefits of using WordPress for your CMS is that you can easily create new users and assign different roles to them. Today we’re going to take you through the process of adding and editing users on your WordPress site. Let’s get started!
Adding WordPress Users
Step One: Navigate to User Module
Use the WordPress menu on the left side of the screen to navigate to the ‘users’ module. Clicking on the ‘users’ module will direct you to a full list of users.
Step Two: Add New User
Click the Add new button in the top left corner of the ‘users’ screen.
This can also be completed by hovering over the menu module and clicking ‘Add New’ directly from the WordPress menu.
Or via the top menu bar of WordPress. The ‘+ New’ button. Hover here and click on ‘User’
Step Three: Assign a WordPress User Role
Once you have clicked the ‘new user’ button you will be presented with a blank template to input all of the necessary information for that user. You will need to put in a username, their first and last name, an email address, and set a role. There are five basic user types to choose from Administrator, Editor, Author, Contributor, and Subscriber. Each is able to perform different functions within your site.
- Administrator: the most powerful role, administrators can edit and delete posts, pages, users, and themes. This role should be reserved for site owners due to this type having full control.
- Editor: this type of user has full control over content sections of your website, they can edit, publish, and delete any posts on the site, as well as comments. Editors do not have access to change any site settings.
- Author: users can add new posts, as well as delete and edit their own posts. This type can add tags to their posts and view any comments on the site. This type also has no access to settings or themes making them low-risk.
- Contributor: can add new posts, but are not able to publish them. They also can not upload files or images to their articles. This role also has no access to settings or themes.
- Subscriber: users with the subscriber role are only allowed to log in to the site and update their user profiles. They cannot write posts, view comments, or do anything else inside your WordPress admin area.
Once you’ve entered the correct information click ‘Add New User’ to finalize user creation.
Editing WordPress Users
Use the WordPress menu on the left side of the screen to navigate to the ‘users’ module. After clicking ‘users’ you will see the list of users. Find the user you’d like to edit and hover over their name and click ‘edit’
From here you are able to update their name, email, and reset their password. Click ‘Update User’ to save any changes.
WordPress makes it simple to easily add and edit any users on your site. With our step-by-step guide, you are now equipped to manage your users easier and faster. For more questions on your CMS or WordPress Maintenance, contact us today!
Red Shark Digital is a superior full-service digital marketing agency that specializes in Web Design, SEO, Branding, and Digital Advertising. With offices across North Carolina including Raleigh, Greenville, and Wilmington, our team of digital marketing specialists are able to create catered solutions for your business needs. Our clients have allowed us to push the boundaries of web and creative design, while building innovative results for their company and their brand. These clients have encompassed multiple industries including higher education, healthcare, and major commercial franchises. Our wide range of clientele has allowed us to craft specialized strategies for businesses of all sizes while conveying our knowledge across a variety of platforms. We always strive to connect brands to customers, learn what we can do for your business today.